Tuesday, September 2, 2008

back to (primary!) school..

Monday was the first day I attended the french school. I dont think I would say i was nervous, nervous like you get the first time at school you're asked to read in front of the class, but I was curiously anxious. We were sat in a room and did a written and later oral test to figure out at what level we were. All the students were divided in 5 classes according to levels, I am in group 3. Happy with that.

On Tuesday i sat through the first lesson, which was 4 hrs long and started at 1.30pm, after Jessica and I walked for 2 hrs finding the local university, which was on top of a hill! We stopped there for lunch after a walk around shops. So I didnt get my siesta, AND I was tired :p only 16 students in the class, we did a number of excercises regarding the past and future tense of verbs. Oh the title mentions 'primary school'. That's simply because the teacher we had today was one of those over-excited ones with amazingly childish facial expressions, making us feel like little kids. Funny though.

So Jessica is 21 and from England, she sat next to me on the first morning and I was relieved to find someone who'd speak English. later i found out basically EVERYONE does anyway, so outside the classroom there isnt a great amount of french spoken really. Mum can I please stop you from nagging me about that. Cioe', tranquilla che il francese lo parlo e imparo lo stesso :)

On Monday we did a bit of walking around town, after a 'reception' in the afternoon we stopped at the Cafe du Theatre for a tequila beer, which was not too impressive! When I got home Madame Andre had made a lovely quiche for dinner, the day ended without a worry :)

I'm excited for Saturday because the school is taking us to Chammonix, apparently a beautiful place. We reach Mount Blanc at 4807m, 'living the ambiance of the global capital of alpinism'! Just going to register my interest now. Jess is waiting for me, I think she's had enough time to have that compolsory after-lesson smoke now.

Bye bye american pie!

1 comment:

Ganeida said...

Most of the French people I ran into spoke English quite well ~ certainly a lot better than I spoke French. :) They are proud of their language but I always found if you had a go they were so thrilled they forgave all sorts of errors in syntax & pronounciation & would help you out with English. lol. I did get caught out though because my French amounts to a hanful of useful phrases. A whole paragraph spoken very fast was beyond me.