Tuesday, September 2, 2008

relaxing weekend + french encounters

On Saturday and Sunday I went with Madame Andre to her second house, with a nice backyard and just 3 km away from the noise of la centre ville. I met her 3 grandchildren and sons/daughters in law. I found it sweet that this hosue is kind of a drop in centre for her family on weekends, its very relaxing. Furthermore, 3 of the neighbouring houses are inhabited by two of her brothers and her sister!
On Sunday night I spent a few hours playing bocce with her... well Im not sure what part of the family they were from, but about a dozen people in their late twenties, who attempted their best English with me :p all good!

Oh, a small note about..

'THE FRENCH'

Ive been pleasantly surprised to meet many nice French people. Everyone Id spoken to about my travels warned me about the snobbyness of the general population, but so far I've found everyone to be really nice. Except a grumpy public servant. Two incidents in particular: we were once needing to make a call, so we walked to a public phone, which was being cleaned by a window cleaner. Found out instead of coins, we had to go to a TABAC to buy a card to use it, which would have been a bother. The cleaner (typical french blonde guy, long scruffy hair, untucked shirt and a smoker) just told us (total strangers) to use his phone. He would not accept money for it, but told us it was 'jesus'.
Again when we asked directions to go to a town, a lady actually got in her car and drove in front of us a fair way to indicate the road!
Even the teachers at IFALPS, my french school, are very available and hmmm.. unracist.
Maybe I had been thinking too much about the French's supposed 'hatred' for the opposition... the Italians lol.

voila, c'est tout.

1 comment:

The HoJo's said...

So long as you aren't being starved I reckon you'll cope :o)
thanks for the postcard :o)
xc