Monday, September 29, 2008

Lovely Sunday

Almost-perfect weather blessed Chambery again on Sunday.

In the morning I went with Madame Andre to quickly visit the church she attends, it's l'Eglise de St Lemenc and underground it treasures an 8-century-old crypt, I may have mentioned trying to visit it last week, but it had been closed. Madame Andre with her contacts and persuasive manners let me see it, it was quite plain apart from a circular hole where baptism ceremonies used to be carried out, and a larger-than-reality marble monument of a dead Jesus and his disciples, pretty well preserved!

Today all around the centre there were massive markets. Like, HUGE, MASSIVELY POPULATED markets which happen in Chambery once a year, attracting people from all over the Savoy and commerciants from other regions. Most of the stock was ridiculously cheap, food was sold as well as clothes and accessories. I met Mel there and we dreaded spending the little money we have left, but I controlled myself quite well :) Lunch today was Churros, little fried Spanish sticks covered in sugar.

After a couple of hours of exploring, Mel and I went to sit at the park to enjoy the sun and de-stress due to the number of people around. There was this hint of idea about us doing some study for Monday's test, but we survived chatting instead. It was really relaxing after two high speed days to just sit and enjoy the sun.

Around 5pm we went to the Cafe du Theatre for a beer and ice cream (probaly the only decent in town, and I'm not just saying that cos I love the place ;). I was just noting to my English buddy that it had been a shame that we hadn't met many French people to practice our French on... sure enough, two guys soon joined our table and we did just that. Unfortunately the conversation was quite limited as they only had the one topic of conversation most guys would, so we left after not long. Funny anyway.

I'm going to miss it here, I'm just realising how much I've improved after 3-4 weeks of the school, I think I'm at a third of where I'd like to be with the language and 2 more months here would do me sooo good. Mamma di sicuro devi continuare a parlarmi in francese, per favore, almeno proveremo ok :) But I will surely consider coming back, if not for school maybe to visit Madame Andre!

I also am aggravated by how expensive university is in Australia compared to France and Spain (that I've heard of). It would be worth to do my studies here, pick up another language, and save some cash.. then again accommodation might be expensive? Who knows. Its a bit late now anyway...

3 comments:

The HoJo's said...

You've crammed a lot into these last few weeks. Tired? or just excited to be nearly home? ;o)

xc

Elena said...

im not allowed to be tired, im young and being a tourist in a place i enjoy!
but yes i am a bit tired.
maybe its a good thing i have a few days off before coming back to work :)

The HoJo's said...

yeah, you have a lovely boss :o)

xc